- 97-99+ Punkte Robert Parkers WINE ADVOCATE, Lisa Perrotti-Brown: "The 2018 Mouton Rothschild is composed of 86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Merlot and 2% Cabernet Franc?there is also a splash of all the Petit Verdot they had, but it doesn?t even register in the percentage. Grapes were harvested September 10 to October 3, and the wine was blended at the beginning of December; it has 13.8% alcohol, and the tannins were slightly higher this year. Deep purple-black in color, it is a little closed to begin compared to some 2018s, slowly unfurling to reveal a profound nose of warm black plums, blackcurrant cordial, star anise, blueberry pie and mocha with suggestions of candied violets, oolong tea, camphor and unsmoked cigars plus a touch of crushed rocks. Medium to full-bodied, the palate delivers waves of opulent, spiced black and blue fruits with seamless acid lifting this gorgeous mouthfeel that is at once plush from the ripe fruit and firm and grainy from the super ripe tannins, finishing very long and wonderfully creamy."
- 97-99 Punkte WINE ENTHUSIAST, Roger Voss: "Barrel Sample. This wine is ripe and juicy, packed with black fruits and generous tannins that sit on a velvety texture. It is dense, concentrated and intensely structured in bold tannins, but still the purity of the dark shines through."
- 94-97 Punkte VINOUS, Antonio Galloni: "The 2018 Mouton Rothschild is dense and unctuous in the glass, with striking textural depth and plenty of overall intensity. Super-ripe dark cherry, plum, spice, leather and sweet spice infuse a Mouton that stands out for its unctuousness and fruit intensity. There is plenty of tannin, but it is nearly buried by the sheer voluptuousness of the fruit. In 2018, Mouton is radiant, sensual and impeccable in its balance, even if it doesn't possess the sheer visceral thrill, energy or pedigree of truly great vintages. The blend is 86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Merlot and 2% Cabernet Franc."
- 99 Punkte FALSTAFF, Peter Moser: "Tiefdunkles Rubingranat, violette Reflexe, dezenter Wasserrand. Reife Kirschen, ein Hauch von Nougat, zart rotbeerig unterlegt, facettenreiches Bukett. Hochelegant, rote Kirschen, feine Extraktsüße, superfeine Tannine, tolle Frische, salzig im Abgang, finessenreicher, großer Mouton mit enormer Zukunft."
- 98-100 DECANTER, Jane Anson: "This has incredible persistency and density of flavour in 2018. It?s extremely well knitted with everything drawn out and taut through the mid palate, slowly layering on the succulent, plump notes of damson, juice-filled blackberries, charcoal, menthol, cigar box, pencil lead and black chocolate that is a signature of the vintage.
I always love that this property shares the same gravel-filled plateau as Lafite and yet the two have such different personalities and interpretations of vintages ? with Mouton here absorbing the richness of the year and adding a touch of glamour into the wine as always.
The alcohol, while still very balanced compared to most in the vintage, is unusually high at Mouton because, as managing director Philippe Dhalluin says; ?usually the poor soils at Mouton mean the grapes make tannins but not sugar, but in 2018 they made both?.
There is the tiniest touch of Petit Verdot in the blend but under 1% so it?s not in the official figures. 100% new oak which has been beautifully integrated. 62% of production went into the grand vin. 3.78pH. 88IPT. The artist design for the 2018 label will be revealed later. Drinking Window 2026 ? 2040"
- 18 Punkte JANCIS ROBINSON, Julia Harding: "86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Merlot, 2% Cabernet Franc. Barrel sample.
Black core with purple rim. Pure, perfectly ripe and lightly spiced cassis. Perfect Cabernet Sauvignon with a nice touch of cassis leaf to freshen the aroma ? invitingly perfumed. On the palate, much more freshness than on the Petit Mouton, the tannins slimmer and finer even if they are compact and very present. Chewy, generous in fruit, big but harmonious. Structured and deep and so much more to come."
- 20 Punkte Rene Gabriels BORDEAUX TOTAL, Andre Kunz: "Kunz Fassprobe 19: (86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Merlot, 2% Cabernet Franc) Konzentriertes, frisches, komplexes, tiefgründiges, elegantes Bouquet, Cassiscreme, Zedern, Edelhölzer, fein Röstaromen, Minze, fein Nougat, Graphit. Fein konzentrierter, vielschichtiger, eleganter, cremiger Gaumen mit dichter, dunkler Frucht, sehr viel feinem Tannin, vielfältiger, konzentrierter Aromatik, sehr dichter, eleganter Struktur, sehr langer, kraftvoller, aromatischer Abgang mit kräftigen Rückaromen."
- 96-98+ Punkte JEB DUNNUCK: "Representing 76% of the total production, the 2018 Mouton-Rothschild checks in as 86% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Merlot, and 2% Cabernet Franc brought up in new oak. The most backward and reserved of the First Growths, this deeply colored beauty boasts a rich, layered bouquet of blackcurrants, graphite, scorched earth, and liquid violets. Deep, full-bodied, and seamless on the palate, it's more elegant than the opulently styled 2016, but it?s still an incredibly powerful and promising Mouton that?s going to live for half a century or more."
- 100 Punkte JAMES SUCKLING: "I am a little bit speechless about this one. I have not seen such earthy and totally deep character of the soil in a young Mouton in my career. Of course, I didn?t taste 1945 or 1959 when they were young, but I have been lucky enough to have a few bottles in my life. There is really terroir-driven character to this. Layered and so intense with polished and incredible tannins."
|René Gabriel:||20 RG|
|Wine Enthusiast:||98 WE|
|James Suckling:||100 JS|
|Jancis Robinson:||18,0 JR|
|Jeb Dunnuck:||97 JD|
|Parker Wine Advocate:||98 RPWA|
|Klassifzierung:||1. Grand Cru Classé|
|Rebsorte(n):||Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot Cabernet Franc|
|Reben:||83% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, 1% Cabernet Franc, 1% Petit Verdot|
|% vol Alk:||13,5|
|Potenziell allergene Substanzen:||Enthält Sulfite. Kann Spuren von Eiweiß, Gelatine und Milch enthalten.|
|Warnungen:||Der Konsum von alkoholhaltigen Getränken während der Schwangerschaft kann selbst in geringen Mengen schwere Konsequenzen für die Gesundheit des Kindes nach sich ziehen.|
|Hersteller:||Chateau Mouton Rothschild, F-33250 Pauillac|